Wal-Mart is the largest private employer in the United States and today it announced that it was raising its base wage to $15 — for some workers, in some places. We’re not impressed by this public relations stunt.
Not only is Wal-Mart a major employer, it’s also a HUGE recipient of public dollars because so many of its employees are on public assistance due to Wal-Mart’s pathetic pay and benefits. A small raise for a few employees won’t change that.
Additionally, Wal-Mart is one of the very worst union-busting companies in the country. Here’s an example of the anti-union propaganda Wal-Mart forces employees to watch:
When this video was leaked, The Atlantic covered it extensively. You can read their coverage here.
Here are some other examples of Wal-Mart’s union-busting tactics:
- They have a hotline for managers to report union activity.
- They have “A Manager’s Toolbox To Remaining Union Free,” which tells managers that “As a member of Wal-Mart’s management team, you are our first line of defense against unionization.”
- They form special teams to divide and deal with disgruntled workers.
- They hire defense contractors like Lockheed Martin to gather intelligence on activist workers.
- They paint protesters as terrorist threats to gain access to federal resources.
No company that cares about its employees would work so hard to deny them their rights and freedoms to join together in a union.
Support our work.